innovative public health approaches to populations in crisis are needed.
Location of the course
About the course
In 2017, the international Global Health programme of the Faulty of Public Health at Thammasat University in Thailand will open its course on Public Health and Crisis to external candidates. This 4-week course is an elective component of the Faculty’s MPH (Global Health) curriculum. The course consists of 4 linked modules, and external candidates have the opportunity to join the whole course or to choose specific modules which suit their needs.
The dates for the courses are:
1. Public Health and Natural Hazards 29 May - 02 June
2. Public Health and Conflict 05 June - 09 June
3. Outbreaks and Epidemics 12 June - 16 June
4. Public Health, Technological Hazards and Mass Casualty Management 19 June - 23 June
Who should take this course?
- Experienced humanitarian professionals who already have practical knowledge and organizational skills in the course subject areas and who are planning to move to a teaching or research career;
- Professional staff working for humanitarian agencies, public health agencies or first responder agencies who are looking for courses which will enhance career development opportunities for senior posts;
- Candidates of other academic courses, particularly part time and web based courses, who are looking for accredited short courses to enhance their degree.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Critically review the quality and appropriateness of key public health interventions in humanitarian settings, mass casualty events and epidemics;
- Recognize gaps in the evidence base for current knowledge and practice in public health interventions in humanitarian settings, mass casualty events and epidemics;
- Identify research opportunities to expand the evidence base and address gaps in current knowledge and practice in public health interventions in humanitarian settings, mass casualty events and epidemics;
- Explore and explain the strengths and weaknesses of published articles and research papers on public health interventions in humanitarian settings, mass casualty events and epidemics.
Who are the trainers?
Language and teaching methods
What is the cost?
- Full course: $740 (THB26,500) for 4 weeks tuition only
- Selective package: $185 (THB6,625) per 1 week module for tuition only.
Participants are expected to make their own travel arrangements and to choose their own accommodation. Options for accommodation in and near the campus will be provided and assistance given with making reservations. Participants should also ensure that they have good travel insurance cover.
What is the application procedure?
It is best to apply electronically. Please email your application form and copy of your CV to
firstname.lastname@example.org andcopy to email@example.com
Once accepted, applicants will receive detailed registration information and procedures for payment. Please apply at least one month prior to the date of the course you wish to attend.