Project : Study on Damage and Loss Assessment Methodology for Gujarat (DALA), Disaster Management Systems Team (DMS), ADPC
Grade : Operational staff (O4)
Work base : Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Salary range : Salary commensurate with experiences and ADPC Policy
Deadline : 7 April 2004
ADPC is a regional resource center working towards disaster reduction for safer communities and sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific. Established in 1986, the Center is recognized as an important neutral focal point in Asia and the Pacific for promoting disaster awareness and the development of local capabilities to foster institutionalized disaster management and mitigation policies. The ADPC is also implementing several programs and projects, the details of which are available in our website at http://www.adpc.net
Under the Gujarat Emergency Earthquake Reconstruction Project, ADPC will be providing consulting services to the Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority (GSDMA) for a study on Damage and Loss Assessment Methodology in Gujarat, starting 20th January 2004. The 9-month long study aims to devise a methodology for the systematic and consistent assessment and collection of data on the damage caused to physical structures, infrastructures, the environment and social and economic systems from which an accurate assessment of financial losses can be determined and to develop an integrated post-disaster reporting format covering damage and loss assessment (i.e. for rapid, initial, interim and final reports) along with a comprehensive training package targeted to building the capacity of key, identified experts and officials from the State. A team of international consultants representing leading organizations such as Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), Center for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT), Ahmedabad and ADPC will be undertaking the development of damage and loss assessment models for both natural and human-made hazards and the capacity building of disaster management personnel in the State of Gujarat.
Required qualifications and selection criteria
· University degree in disaster management, development, civil engineering, urban development planning or related fields. Postgraduate specialization will be viewed as an added advantage.
· 3-4 years experience in disaster management related field in Gujarat, some of it in a post-disaster context, in the area of damage assessment, reconstruction or response.
· Familiarity with post disaster assessment, relief, rehabilitation and capacity building and solid technical background and practical experiences in these areas
· Experience of working with Government officials in India will be an advantage
· Excellent writing and communication skills in English. Hindi/Gujarati language skills will be an advantage.
· Self-motivated and decisive, if required
· Excellent interpersonal skills; team oriented working style; experience and demonstrated interest in multi-cultural and international work environment
· Comfortable working and prioritizing multiple tasks
· Excellent computer and typing skills and understanding of the new electronic office. Proficiency or working knowledge in Macintosh systems is an advantage.
· Knowledge and experience in budget and financial management
· Able to work for long hours if required
· Organization of project activities and planning related activities
· Maintaining close coordination and flow of communications between team of project consultants and the Clients, i.e. GSDMA.
· Preparation of all program materials and maintaining a calendar of events in collaboration with the Program Coordinator based at Bangkok
· Provide assistance to consultants in research at the local level and assist in orienting the consultants to local needs and information sources
· Maintain communications between different consultants
· Provide direct assistance to the BNPS Team Leader and the Project Manager, Damage and Loss Assessment (DALA) project and the consultant team in planning and implementing program activities, follow-up with local partners, preparing and submitting reports and tracking program expenditure.
· Provide administrative support to Program Coordinator and the Project Manager, DALA project and the consultant team, such as preparation and organization of all project related incoming and outgoing communications, scheduling, travel arrangements, meeting arrangements, coordination with other ADPC programs, and other partner organizations in Gujarat.
· Provide assistance in organizing conferences, meetings, seminars, workshops, training sessions that are programmatically related to the project
· Similar responsibilities related to other projects in Gujarat, if required
· Other duties as may be assigned as needed.